I don't know if any one reads Darren Lynn Bousman's (director of Repo! The Genetic Opera and The Devil's Carnival) blog here, but there was a post, I think his most recent post still, about doing everything without distraction, truly being in the moment. Well, I've been trying to do that since I've read his blog. Some days I've succeeded, other days I haven't, but I'm getting better. So I'm gonna tell you about the success.
One thing about being all in, you understand things better and the memories turn out better, believe it or not. Like, Valentine's day. After school, a friend and I decided to chill and we went over to the mall. Now, in the car, she was driving and I was riding shot gun. I proceeded to pull out my phone which in any case hinders conversation, let's be real. I was checking out twitter, facebook, and then got to Danger Dame Diary (Veronica Varlow's, Burlesque Dancer and Bloody Crumpet, online blog), which I was totally prepared to stall conversation for this when I heard -- well, read -- a passage in the back of my head: "Whatever you do today, be all there." or, you know, the last line of Bousman's blog. I knew it better at that time because had read it the day before so it was still pretty fresh. And in that very moment, like reflex, I pressed the "Home" button on my phone, locked it, and put it in my purse and continued to talk and listen to the radio with a good friend of mine. We were listening to The Gorillaz. We talked about how we wanted to know who the real guys were behind the animation. We discussed Noodle, robot and "human" alike. I confirmed their names and faces with her. It was a good conversation. We laughed. We continued on down the road and our shared fascination with Most Popular Girls in School shown.
We reached the mall and we continued our fabulous trip around, neither of really looking at our phone and te time. We did girl stuff, stopped at Hot Topic, Teavan, Icing, Forever 21, Starbucks, LoveCulture, and then ended the day with Starbucks again (because you can get refills if you register your gift cards, WHO KNEW.) It was a fucking good Valentine hang out. We talked through school, Adventure Time, He grandpa, and just a ton of other things WITHOUT EVER STOPPING TO TEXT OR NETWORK. It was beautiful.
You guys should definitely try this all in thing. It's pretty serious. Pretty cool. Pretty legit.
This is my first post...maybe I'll make days or something like Danger Dame Diary...I don't fucking know, we'll see how this goes. But I hope you enjoyed this first one! And a link to Bousman's blog for those of you interested in reading it instead of my random ass description.
Have a lovely rest of your Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment